Movie: Coming to America
Director: John Landis
Story by: Eddie Murphy
Screenplay by: David Sheffield & Barry W. Blaustein
Date Revised: 10.15.12
1. ORDINARY WORLD:
Ahkeem is the prince/heir the thrown of Zamunda. On the day of his 25th birthday his father/the king, decides to throw his son a wedding party.
*INCITING INCIDENT: He is to marry a woman who has been trained to know and love him from the day she was born.
2. CALL TO ADVENTURE:
A royal wedding. It is time for the prince to have a wife.
Ahkeem wishes to find his own wife. So the father allows him to ‘sort his royal oats’ and he cancels the wedding to which many distinguished guests had already attended.
4. MEETING THE MENTOR:
Once it has been decided that Ahkeem will go to Queens, America, with his loyal servant Semmi, he wishes to fit in as a simple man. Soon he walks into a barbershop (mighty shop) to get an American cut, when he finds 4 barbers (4 wise men) who seem to know a lot about finding the right woman.
5. CROSSING THE THRESHOLD:
He commits to finding a woman in Queens to be his Queen, but he is not in luck because the various women at the club all seem wrong for him. But he sees the light at the end of the tunnel when he sets his eyes on Lisa Mcdowell at the church service.
6. TESTS, ALLIES, & ENEMIES:
In order to get Lisa’s attention he follows her to her workplace (a restaurant owned by her father, Mr. Mcdowell). He gets a job there, as a cleaner. Soon he discovers obstacles – her boyfriend, A big shot named Darrel; Her sister who likes him.
His mentor reveals to him that, “American women get interested in you when you are in good books with her father.” His begins to pursue her by buying her $5000 earrings (but at the moment she doesn’t know who bought them).
She begins to see him as a good guy.
At a get together at the Mcdowell’s Darrel announces that he and Lisa are engaged without consulting her. This upsets her, and Ahkeem comes to the rescue.
– Lisa says to him, “you are very easy to talk to, I feel like I can tell you anything.”
– Ahkeem and Lisa begin to fall in love.
– Her father considers Ahkeem an equal, after doing such a great job by fixing the robber.
– Unfortunately, his plan to make her think he is poor is slowly failing.
10. ROAD BACK:
– Lisa finds out the truth about Ahkeem’s health, and feels betrayed.
– The king insults her and her father.
– Lisa runs off and Ahkeem follows her to declare his love for her, but she doesn’t want to hear his plea.
– In a failed attempt to convince Lisa of his love for her, he is forced to return home.
– Meanwhile, the Queen(his mother) manages to guilt trap her husband for causing her son’s unhappiness. “It is a stupid tradition” – she says to him.
12. RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR:
Yet another wedding ceremony in Zamunda, Africa. The prince is finally getting married. But just when he thinks he might have to spend the rest of his life with a woman he doesn’t love, he unveils Lisa. The true love of his life is his bride and a new tradition was born.
The Antagonist was Money- In form of Royalty, Fortune. His Goal was to find a woman who will love him for his personality. Some Conflicts were, his Dad; Darrel; Her sister; His servant Semmi. PLOT POINT 1 = He see’s Lisa and immediately decides she is the one. PLOT POINT 2 = The king comes to Queens. CLIMAX = She finds out his a Prince.